Uvalde Baptist Church History
In August, 1953 Cloverleaf Baptist Church, under the guidance of Bro. L.A. Vermillion, recognized there was
a need for a witness in the Home Owned Estates area. This vision grew and Uvalde Baptist Mission was formed,
jointly sponsored by the Union Baptist Association and Cloverleaf Baptist Church. Pastors of all Union
Baptist Association churches were invited to serve on the Council and upon adoption of the Articles of Faith and the Church
Covenant, Uvalde Baptist Church was chartered. On the day of organization the Women’s Missionary
Union, Brotherhood and Youth organizations were functioning, having been organized when the Mission began. On April 4, 1954,
Uvalde Baptist Mission became Uvalde Baptist Church with 242 charter members. Wayne King served as mission
pastor and first pastor of the church until January, 1956. Bill Luton was pastor from January, 1956 to
March, 1957. The third pastor was Wayne Tucker who served from 1957 until 1960. Beginning
in October, 1960, E.P. Hardin, Jr. pastored until 1980, when he became the first pastor emeritus of the church.
The original structure, which served as a sanctuary and educational facility was built in 1953,
another educational building and a new sanctuary in 1956; the elementary educational building in 1960 and the activity center
in 1973. Extensive renovations and additions were made in 1995
From its beginnings,
Uvalde Church has been committed to missions and evangelism through cooperation with the Southern Baptist Convention, Baptist
General Convention of Texas, and Union Baptist Association. The Women’s Missionary Union, Brotherhood,
and youth mission organizations have provided strong leadership and influence to the missionary vision of the church.
Uvalde has sponsored several mission churches in the area – two of which are now Parkway Baptist and Sterling
Wood Church. Since her conception in 1954, Uvalde
Baptist Church has witnessed many economic, political, and social changes. To her credit, in the midst
of each, she has held to a common goal of touching lives with love. This highlights her finest treasure,
the membership. Many of these members, who were instrumental during Uvalde Baptist Church’s foundational
years, have gone on to be with the Lord. In the midst of this difficult period, God has demonstrated His
faithfulness by adding families eager to see Uvalde Baptist Church’s legacy continue for generations to come.
Uvalde Baptist Church Charter Members
|Barnard, Barbara||Gilbert, Wayne||Roy, Barbara|
|Bemont, Jimmie||Hardman, Wayne||Roy. Sylvia|
|Broun, Baxter||Harris, Mildred||Seay, Mr. & Mrs. V.B.|
|Brown, Mr. & Mrs. J.E. Sr.||Hinkie, Mrs. N.R.||Sheid, Mrs.
|Brown, J. E. Jr.||Hosea, Mrs. H.L.||Sheilds, Ed|
|Carlson, Martha||Kincaid, Mrs. W.C.||Tharp, Linda|
|Craig, Connie||Kincaid, Peggy||Whitten, James|
|Dobas, Wanda||Kindred, Mary||Wilcox, Tom|
|Gilbert, Bonnie||McNatt, Mae|| |
|Alexander, Sue & Jesse||Gray, Mertin Leon||McMan, Elizabeth & William |
|Alley, Mr. & Mrs.
J.D.||Gray, Mr. & Mrs. E. M.||McMichael, Miss Jean|
|Alley,Opal & Harold E.||Gresham,.
Mrs. Ruby||McMichael, Miss Madilene|
|Anderson, Ruby & Morris||Guecker, Mrs. Doris||McMichael, Mr. & Mrs. T.M.|
|Austin, Mrs. Inez||Hardman, Frances & James||Miley, Otho|
|Bell, Mildred & W.S.||Hardman, Jean & Alvin
||Monroe, Miss Jennene|
|Bemont, Mrs. Faye||Harris, Mrs. Mildred||Moore, Mrs. Sam|
|Betts, Mary Lou & Dorsey||Helms, Miss Atsy Dean||Mosley, Mildred &
|Bowen, Isabel &. William||Helms, Mrs. A. D.||Mosley, Nellie Jean & Gene|
|Bowen, Marcus Keith ||Hill, Mr. & Mrs. Floyd||Nichols, Calvin|
|Brown, Mabel & Willis
C.||Hill, Mr. Joe||Niday, Mrs. J. B.|
|Brown, Miss Linda||Holloway, Mr. Vernon||Norris, Mr. & Mrs. H. A. |
|Brown, Miss Linda Sue||Hopkins, Mr. & Mrs.
W. H.||Norris, Mr. & Mrs. L.H.|
|Calvin, Mrs. Will||Howard, Miss Mary Ruth||O’Quin, Jimmy|
Carter, Mr. & Mrs. W. Harvey||Howard, Mr. & Mrs. J. E.||O’Quin, Mr. & Mrs. J.C.|
|Cobb, Miss Betty Jean||Isham, Mr. & Mrs.
J. D.||Olney, Mrs. N.W.|
|Cobb, Mrs. Emma Lois||Isham, Mr. & Mrs. Jimmy R.||Owens, Maycel & Joe E.|
|Compton, Mr. & Mrs. J.R.||Jackson, Mrs. Virginia||Owens, Rita June|
|Cunningham, Mazine & John||Johnson, Miss Nancy||Peacock, Kenneth|
|Cunningham, Mrs. J.R.||Jolly, Mr. & Mrs.
L. J.||Peacock, Miss Betty|
|Curtis, Billy Paul||Jordan, Mr. & Mrs. R. E.||Peacock, Mr. C.V.|
|Curtis, Sue &
Bob||Keever, Mr. & Mrs. H. L.||Peoples, Mr. & Mrs. Harol H.|
|Curtis, Norma & Bruce||Keller, Kenneth, Jr.||Robbins, Mr. & Mrs.
|Daniels, Bonnie Rose||Keller, Mr. & Mrs. Ken Sr.||Roseland, Ralph Alder,Jr.|
|Daniels, Mr. & Mrs. A.H.||King, Joel||Shepherd, Mrs. John C.|
|Daniels, Pauline||King, Judith Ilene||Simmons, Mr. & Mrs.
|Davis, Harold||King, Mr. & Mrs. J. L. ||Soape, Mrs. Pat|
|Davis, Mr. & Mrs. M.W. ||King, Rev. & Mrs.
Wayne||Terry, Mr. & Mrs. J.M.|
|Dixon, Ardie||King, Wayne, Jr.||Thomas, Allene & Tony|
|Dixon, Laura Lynn||LaCaze, George,Jr.||Thomas, Miss Shirley Ann|
|Dixon, Mr. & Mrs. Herschel||LaCaze, Wilma & George,Sr.||Thomas, Mr. & Mrs.
G. M Sr.|
|Dixon, Mr. & Mrs. Paul S.||LaCaze,James Jackson||Tompkins, Mr. & Mrs.
|Duncan, Mrs. A.E.||LaDue, Phyliss & John||Trevathan, Betty & A.B. Sr.|
|Dunham, Floyd, Jr.||Lyrock, Mr. & Mrs..C.E.||Trevathan, Shirley &
|Dunham, Mary & Floyd||Malone, Mrs. Oma||Watson, Miss Linda Carlene|
|Fisher, Mrs. Claudene||Marr, Adelle & H.N.||Watson, Mr. & Mrs.
|Fisher, Mrs. Grace||Marshall, Mr. & Mrs. Roy||Weaver, Laura & Warren W.|
|Fountain, Mrs. Jane||Maulding, Mrs. Carohel||Welsh, Mr. & Mrs.
|Garrison, Miss Marilyn||McAlister, Mrs. A.F.||Wheeler, Miss Sandra Jean|
|Gilchrist, Mr. & Mrs. Sam R.||McCleskey, Mr.Henery||Wheeler, Mr. & Mrs.
|Graddy, Mrs. Genevieve||McCullough, Mrs. Roger||Wheeler, Yvonne & Charles|
|Gray, Leslie Fletcher||McFarland, Mrs. Elizabeth||Wilcox, Mrs. T.E.|
| || ||Wolfington, Mary &
By baptism: Jimmy Alexander, Harold Alley, Joyce Barlow, Rayford Brown, James Bucklew, James Ehrlich Troy
Reva Holloway, Sandra MaGee, Mr. & Mrs. G.L. McDaniel, Patsy McKnatt, Charlotte